Thanksgiving has come and gone and now it’s the time of year devoted to Christmas, when millions of people will be searching for the perfect gifts for their family and friends. How can you make sure your gift won’t be tossed in the back of the closet (or worse, regifted) as soon as you leave?
Here are a few tips that will help you be an awesome gift giver:
• Pay attention – all year. Almost inevitably, your friends and family will mention a favorite wine, or kind of chocolate, or the fact that they can’t get enough of that mandarin orange-scented lotion they have to order off the internet. If you have a memory like Swiss cheese, stick a small notebook in your car or purse, or start a list on your phone, that will let you take notes to make shopping easy.
• Don’t wait until the last minute. When you’re under pressure, buying a gift within a short window puts you straight into “that’s a great gift because it’s still on the shelf and in my price range” mode. Avoid that place. In fact, if you can shop all year, it’s easier on the budget and your nerves. Just make sure you have a good hiding spot!
• Make a phone call to someone even closer to your friend or loved one than you are. A spouse might have an idea of something to buy, or a sister might be able to offer an idea like, “She was just complaining the other day that she never gets to go to the movies.” And a movie ticket gift box, complete with candy and popcorn, is born.
• Check out the handmade sites online, like Etsy. Not only are gifts from these sites supporting artists and small businesses, they’re amazing because they offer ingenious ideas you probably never thought about. If your friend loves something even as wacky as sweet potatoes, you can search and find sweet potato pie candles or sweet potato chips. Input your loved one’s favorite things — marshmallows, Paris, funky necklaces — and you’ll have a terrific list of unique gift ideas.
• Something handmade byyou shows you put a lot of effort into the gift. You don’t have to be crafty, either. You can write a heartfelt letter tucked into a perfect card that will be guaranteed to touch your loved one’s heart. Even a batch of favorite fudge or a pan of brownies can be a perfect gift.
• And speaking of cards, always include a card with your gift. Take these special moments that we carve out of the holidays and let your love show in a way that can be kept, treasured, read and re-read. I have cards stashed in a box that remind me of people and times in my life that I love to revisit.
• Think in terms of experiences, rather than gifts. How about a day at the paintball range for a group of friends? Find a nearby tea shop that will be a treat for a friend dreaming of visiting England. Maybe a favorite musician is having a concert soon. Time is a precious commodity, and scheduling a day to spend together, shopping, eating and laughing can be a great gift.
And our No. 1 tip for being a great gift-giver?
• Remember the gift is for THEM. What will they love? Don’t just assume that because you like it, they will too. Really take the time to use the tips above to make it special for them.
Happy gift hunting. See you in the crowds.
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – -
Special news for Black Friday,
Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday
1. Newsletter subscribers are getting a special discount code in their inboxes, and if you want one too, all you have to do is sign up!
2. Also, as a shopping weekend special, we’re helping you skip the post office line by offering stamps with your Christmas card orders. Easy peasy.
3. Select Christmas cards on are on sale! No coupon code needed. These designs are being discontinued, and when they’re gone they’re gone for good, so get yours now!
Phew! We’ve been working like crazy for the last few months on this awesome new website, and we’re excited to FINALLY share it with you. We hope you love it, too!
Take a few minutes to look around. There’s a lot to see, including new cards and a new logo! The new 2014 Christmas card designs are also debuting today. AND, there are two new printable cards in our free Double Printable Card Kit, which you get in your inbox just for signing up for our newsletter.
To celebrate our grand reopening, we’re giving you 25% off all orders TODAY ONLY with the code GRAND.
Plus, all orders on this site through Friday will be entered to win A YEAR OF CARDS and a $10 Starbucks gift card. One winner will get to choose one card for each month, plus two extra for those surprise occasions, and they’re on the house. Along with some coffee.
Thank you for making this new chapter in our business possible. We heart you!
The weather has cooled off in Seattle and I’m pulling out the sweaters and dusting off my boots. Not to mention drinking chai tea lattes like nobody’s business.
Now that it’s fall, if you’ve been on Pinterest at all in the last few weeks, you’ve probably seen pumpkin everything. Pumpkin decorations. Pumpkin recipes. Pumpkin parties. Pumpkin carving. Et cetera.
Which is why I created this free printable card for you. All I ask in return is that you — what else — pin it on Pinterest. We know your guy probably won’t get it, but this card would be perfect for your friend, your mom, your sister, or any other Pinterest addicts.
There are always a couple cards I set aside for small flaws. Maybe there’s a small spot that shouldn’t be there, or the color is slightly off, or it folded a little crooked. But this is good for you bargain hunters. Because I’m having an Instagram sale for my Valentine’s Day cards, and guess what — they’re all ONE dollar. And we’ll have some of our most popular designs. So make sure you follow me on Instagram at @RLPCo by Wednesday, Feb. 5. Sale starts at 8 p.m. EST.
But wait! There’s more! If you’re on Instagram, just follow me and share this image with the hashtag #RLPCosale and you’ll be entered to win a $25 gift card to our shop!
Got your shopping slippers on? (You’re online, so no shoes required.) Here are the deals and cool stuff — *coughcough free printables* — we’ve lined up for your shopping pleasure this weekend:
Firstly, FREE SHIPPING in the U.S. Friday through Monday (midnight EST). Just use the code SBSHIP when you check out.
For Black Friday:
ALL orders (no minimum purchase) will receive free printable gift tags that match our Christmas cards! So mix and match ‘em, use them for gifts with your photo cards, or if you still need cards, well that whole free shipping plus free stuff works out pretty well for you.
For Small Business Saturday:
ALL orders (no minimum purchase) will receive a free printable 5-Year Christmas Card & Gift (and Recipe) Organizer. Keep all your Christmas card addresses in one place, mark down who sent you a card, keep track of your gift ideas and who sent you presents, and write down new recipes you might’ve come to love this holiday season.
For Cyber Monday:
ALL orders (no minimum purchase) will receive free printable return address labels that you can customize with your address. Keep the theme going on the outside of your cards with these labels that match our cards, or use them just because they’re cute. Either way.
If you miss any of the free printables, they’ll be available to purchase in the shop the next day.
Today is the three-year anniversary of the day RLPCo first opened shop!
1. This isn’t easy. People often ask me how I got started with my own business, what prompted me to do it. The truth is, I thought it’d be easy. A few design skills here, some paper and envelopes there, and voila! Business! But it turns out that is only a small portion of it. I didn’t start with some grand scheme to change the world, just to help people find something they couldn’t find before. Over the last three years, I’ve really grown along with my business, honing in on my passion for sharing my faith my way, and doing it in a way that serves others, too.
2. Confidence. Man, was this lacking when I started. I think there are the kinds of entrepreneurs who can jump in with both feet and think they’ve got it all down pat. The ones who know their vision, won’t stray from it, believe in their product so much they can sell it to a wall. Then there’s the rest of us. The ones who have to be told over and over again that what we’re doing is good, that we’re making a difference. The ones who will second-guess their business’ purpose a thousand times, think about quitting. I’m a lot better three years later. Oh I still have my moments. But I’ve grown as a person, as a designer, and as a business owner. I know who I am, what I want, and where I’m going. … Usually.
3. Online friends are real-life friends. I wasn’t on Twitter before RLPCo launched, and I had a personal blog read by all of a handful of people I already knew. Building relationships has been a HUGE part of this for me. And the timing couldn’t have been better, during a period in my life where community outside my apartment was lacking. You gave me purpose. You supported me, encouraged me, made me laugh, prayed for me. I’m so, so thankful for you, many of whom I’ve never even met in real life. You guys make me better.
I really can’t say thank you enough to anyone in the last three years who’s bought a card, spread the word, said a prayer, or a million other things that mean so much.
But in an attempt, we’re having one heck of a sale.
Today only, till 2 a.m. ET, to celebrate three years, buy three cards, get three free.
There’s no code to enter, nothing to remember. Just add three cards to your cart and then write the other three you want in the notes at checkout. That’s it.
Thanks again. Truly. Here’s to many more years!
* Free cards must be of equal or lesser value. Up to 9 free cards. Purchase must be at full price — sets not included.
So. Want? Just sign up for our newsletter (that I promise not to send so frequently as to bombard your inbox) and you’ll get the printable PLUS a coupon code for your next RLPCo purchase, and a little bit of behind-the-scenes knowledge on what really drives RLPCo. Not to mention you’ll get to stay up-to-date on new products and special discounts and other fun stuff.
It’s Cyber Monday! The big day to shop online, and the last day of our doorbuster deal.
Ready to get today’s FREE, EXCLUSIVE, ONE-TIME-ONLY 5×7 Christmas art print?
Here is today’s design:
The first five people to spend $25 in the shop today will receive this exclusive art print. So get clickin’! (If you choose to use the discount below, total after coupon must be greater than $25.)
This is your LAST opportunity to get one of these exclusive RLPCo art prints! I’ll post here when today’s five prints have been claimed, but don’t worry, there’s still some discount goodness to go around.
I know shopping after Thanksgiving generally trends toward buying gifts for others, but you’re still gonna need Christmas cards to send them. So we’re getting in on the sale action this weekend.
But it’s not just a sale.
For four days — Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Just-Because Sunday (I made that one up) and Cyber Monday — the FIRST FIVE PEOPLE to spend at least $25 in the shop will get a FREE, EXCLUSIVE, ONE-TIME-ONLY 5×7 Christmas art print! This is the only time these prints will be offered. Wanna see them?
You didn’t think I was gonna show you NOW did you? Each day’s exclusive print will be revealed at midnight EST the day before they’re available. So keep checking back! And remember, only the first five people of the day (who spend $25 or more) will get the print, so you better be quick. I’ll post it here when that day’s prints have been claimed.
But don’t worry if you can’t click that fast. We’ve got deals all day (and weekend) long! Just make sure you take note of what times these discounts will be offered.
To recap: Act early, save a lot, get free stuff. Capiche?